Updated: Mar 8, 2022
What is incense?
Incense can be used to revive your soul, to scent your home, for its meditative properties, or to connect with spirituality. These scents can be a deep wood base note, hints of bright clean aromas, or top notes of light florals. Personal preference, style, and mood, will affect which type of incense you are drawn to.
Incense is biologic material that produces a scented smoke when it is burnt. Incense refers to either the aroma or the material. The word "Incense" comes from the Latin word incendere meaning “to burn”. Incense is plant material, is often combined with essential oils, and comes in many forms. It can come in sticks, cones, coils, and powder forms. Incense is often used in aromatherapy, yoga, spiritual/religious rituals, and for health and wellness. It has a deep, rich history going back thousands of years.
Types of incense:
There are several ways to enjoy incense:
Incense Sticks - formed from a bamboo stick core with aromatic materials and scents.
Joss sticks - do not have the bamboo stick center. It is just the stick of biologic material.
Incense Cones – Oils and plant materials are shaped in the form of a cone
Incense Coils – The plant material is placed in a spiral form
Powders – Plant materials, oils, woods, and resins are ground into a fine powder
5 Benefits of Incense:
1. Aromatherapy - Pick a scent you love, light it up, and just breathe deep into the beauty of this moment.
2. For Rituals - Use incense to start the day or end the day on the right note. Use it before a project, to clean house, and during yoga to invite your own vibes. It clears the space and allows you to focus your energy to set the tone of your activity. Make a space to allow your energy to shine.
3. Connect with your Spirituality- Incense encourages a higher vibration to connect with spirit realms. Sacred smoke may be intended as a symbolic or sacrificial offering to various deities or spirits, or to serve as an aid in prayer.
4. For Meditation - Incense deepens concentration and focus so you can focus on your intentions, manifestations, and affirmations. Engaging in mindfulness and grounding yourself can help you achieve peace and balance.
5. As a timer - Incense can last 40-45 minutes. Light it as you start working, meditating, or journaling, and continue until it burns out. Fragrance is a much more gentle timekeeper that a blaring alarm clock, and you deserve to be kind to yourself.
All-Natural incense ingredients include woods, tree bark, gums, plants, resins, and oils. Different plants possess different magical properties and vibes. The following are some ingredients for making incense along with their magical powers from Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs:
Bamboo - protection, luck, hex-breaking, wishes
Benzoin - purification, prosperity
Bergamot - money
Cedar - healing, purification, money, protection
Cinnamon - success, healing, power, psychic powers, love, protection, lust
Clove - protection, exorcism, love, money, memory, focus
Copal - love, purification
Dragon’s Blood - love, protection, exorcism, potency
Eucalyptus - healing, protection, cleansing a space
Frankincense - protection, exorcism, spirituality
Galangal - protection, lust, health, money, psychic powers, hex-breaking
Hemp - healing, love, visions, meditation
Hibiscus - lust, love, divination
Jasmine - love, money, prophetic dreams
Juniper - protection, anti-theft, love, exorcism, health
Lavender - love, protection, sleep, chastity, longevity, purification, peace
Lemongrass - lust, psychic powers
Myrrh - protection, purification, healing, spirituality
Orange - love, divination, luck, money
Papaya - love, protection
Palo Santo - clear negative energy, purification
Patchouli - love, wealth, passion, fertility
Pine - fertility, healing, protection, exorcism, money
Plumeria - love
Rose - love, psychic powers, healing, love divination, luck, protection
Sage - immortality, longevity, wisdom, protection, wishes
Sandalwood, white - protection, wishes, healing, exorcism, spirituality
Sandalwood , red - love
Vanilla - love, lust, mental powers
Vetivert - love, hex-breaking, luck, money, anti-theft
How to Burn Magixstyx Incense:
Focus on an Intention and light the tip of the all-natural incense stick. This is the side opposite the bamboo end
Wait a few seconds and extinguish the flame by fanning or blowing it. You should see a delicate wisp of smoke
Place the unlit end in a heat-proof container. Enjoy the Benefits of Incense!
Incense Do’s and Don’ts
Use the incense in a well-ventilated area
Make sure you are paying attention to the burning incense.
Make sure incense is truly extinguished before you leave the area
Leave your incense unattended
Use incense with chemicals and synthetic fragrances
Use it near children and pets